Thursday, February 28, 2008

Beringer California Classic Red 2005 wine review by Billy


Nose: big nose of peppery zinfandel and spicy syrah if I guess correctly. Fruity plumbs provide the fruity nose.
Palate: balance is so-so. Tannins are ok but the acidic structure is thin and hollow making the mouth feel weaker than promised by the nose. Still, it flows nicely and the fruit flavors of of dark stone fruit (hahaha, I've always wanted to write that -I really mean plumbs, pluots, maybe cherries etc)
Finish:round and fruity again, pleasing and smooth.

This is not an expensive wine but it is a fun wine to drink. This particular bottle was a gift to me from the Hilton hotel in Beijing China where I was staying last week on business. Yes, I brought it home, so this California wine has been around the world, to be enjoyed here in the USA.

It is a fine wine for casual drinking. Its big nose and fruity palate make it easily accessible. It is bold and will hold up well to spicy dishes.

Raise a Glass!

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago circa 1980, Monterey Vineyards produce something called Classic California Red. It ran right around $4 and was a super wine for the price. Monterey Vineyards is now defunct I believe but the name brought up many, nice inexpensive oenophilic memories. Raise a glass!

    ReplyDelete