Friday, May 18, 2007

David Bruce Petite Sirah 2004 Wine Review (NW)

Tasting notes:

Nose of blackberry jam with spices and an herbal undertone
Core of anise with a moderately-plush texture
Finishes with more berries, herbs, and lingering cocoa

First off, this is not a huge style Petite Sirah. Instead, it's an elegant style aimed at more balance and harmony. Even so, it's just okay- not great.

I like the Pinot Noir bottlings from this winery, so I know they make good wine. With this more refined style of Petite Sirah, though, I can't help comparing it to the big, rich wines from other producers. Like Zinfandel, this is a grape that can push the ripeness scale, delivering high alcohol with inky color and thick, mouth-coating texture. David Bruce chooses a more refined style, but it then needs to be more elegant as well with better-integration of flavors.

Hey, this is just my two-cents worth. I enjoy Petite Sirah and would be interested to try the 2005 David Bruce when available. I'll grab it on sale somewhere, like I did with this one. I paid $16, marked down from $19. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment