Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Flaio Salento Primitivo 2004 Wine Review (NW)

Nose of strawberries, lilacs, and green pepper
Smooth mid-palate
Finish of herbs and mushrooms, with a bitter note on the end

This wine is a little odd. It might sound delicious based on my tasting notes above, but it didn't come together. I was was expecting something a little different and even with all the flavors, it seemed disjointed.

Primitivo is essentially Zinfandel. I realize Zinfandel is the most American of grapes, but it actually has roots in Croatia along with Primitivo which is made in Southern Italy (heel of the boot).

This wine is bargain-priced at just $7, so I can't complain too much. To be honest, my wife and I both turned away from it after a half glass or so. The bottle then sat on the counter for two days until I decided to give it another try. Guess what, it was actually a little better- rounder, smoother, and with better integrated flavors. Interesting! Even seven dollar wine can change and evolve. Still, I don't recommend this wine even though I really encourage you to try Primitivo. Others are out there. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment