Monday, April 25, 2005

Barone Cornacchia 2002 (PB)

This brilliant purple pour I purchased simply because it was a Montepulciano D’Abruzzo. I knew nothing about this wine. I purposely breathed this wine for two hours before I reviewed it; something I generally do not do but knowing the origins of the wine, breathing was a must.

The bouquet is full of nice aromas with bacon being the most prominent. In the mouth this wine is large with a rich tannic foundation. It is tart with good acid and rather tends to kick butt generally speaking. Bought blind, this wine a good purchase! Paired with Venison steaks with blue cheese sauce and sauteed fennel, it was a smashing success. At $12, this is a good, old world wine, with character and staying power. The finish is pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment