Sunday, January 16, 2005

Castello Di Verrazzano Chianti Classico 2000 (PB)

This is a fine example of the impact of ambience on the so-called objective evaluation of a wine. I remember this wine as being a wonderful experience and a wine to be sought out however...that was after embibing it with daughter, son-in-law, and the love of my life sitting in a restraunt in a moutaintop restraunt in Tuscany eating wild boar in a lovely tomatoe based sauce over pasta while Sergio(?) our waiter was hitting on my daughter. He was charming though but I digress...It is now some 10 months after the fact and I am tasting the same wine in my living room on a 23 degree evening in New England while my love is out of town for a week. This wine, ($18) bearing the name of the fabled family who built the famous bridge in New York (Verrazzano Narrows) is light in color but rich in the nose with berry accents. It is quite tart in the mouth which is it's predominant impression unfortunately--but this is prior to breathing. (I am a firm believer in airing out my wine.) It is shallow in flavors but with some air time it does open up but is still rather austere. It never quite arrives. It is not unpleasant, just not as memorable as the evening in Italy when it first appeared. Ah, Tuscany!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment