Saturday, June 24, 2023

High Valley Stage "1871" (Lake County) Cabernet Sauvignon 2020

 


Nearly black hue with rich ripe fruit wafting to my nose as the glass breaths about a foot away. Slight hint of mint, savory spice but mostly an overwhelming bouquet of dark berries.

Palate--Surprisingly balanced for so young a wine with a vibrant structure that is mouth filling with gigantic fruit. 

I was honestly expecting a more complex wine but I believe the vintner(s) produced this for "upon release" drinkability.  This tends to be the M.O. today since people are not really into cellaring a bottle of wine for 5 years --or more-- in order to drink it enjoyably. The tannins are quite mellow for a young wine which could lead to an "early" (relatively speaking) demise regarding cellaring. 

I paid $15 for this marked retail for $30.  This is an easy drinking red wine at $15 but I am glad I didn't pay $30 for it. I am pairing it with my venison chili which we have a lot of because we are Mainers and we hunt and eat off the land, sea, and water. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment