Monday, December 25, 2023

Ilex Daino 2019 (Terraine Siciliane)



Purple/Garnet hue with a big bouquet with aromas of cinnamon and cherry candy, spring bouquet of flowers, a nuance of orange peel at the end. Very nice!

Palate--Cherry berry front with forward savory spices, lip smacking tannins, and a nice line of acidity. Lingering finish!

This is still young and will benefit from another 2-5 years.  Nero D'Avola is the signature grape of Sicily and this is an elegant rendition. I was pressed to pair with my standing rib roast for Christmas and while I didn't want to open this as I just received it for Christmas and it is not the best pairing, I had no other reds ready to drink. We'll see how it goes with my roast. 

But the most important thing of this day is the celebration of the birth of the Savior of mankind. So I will focus on that and all my blessings which are too numerous to count.

This wine seems to run about $30 and I would say for the price you could find a Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon that would do better with my menu. But I give thanks and wish you a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment