Friday, May 29, 2009

Stony Brook Camissa 2004 wine review by (PB)


This S. African red was given to us as a gift. It was recommended to our gift giver by the shop proprietor emphasizing terroir over "another red wine."

It is a black purple hued wine with an interesting bouquet of sweet berry and spearmint notes with a bubble gum and spice underlay. Nice!

Palate--spices galore but a bit watery on the texture yet truly interesting flavors with smoke, and berries. It has taken me years to figure out what was terroir and what was a flaw when it comes to S. African reds.

S. African reds seem to highlight band-aid aromas and tastes, normally associated with a mycological contaminant called Brettanomyces. But I believe in the case of S. Africa, it happens to be terroir and one I am not crazy about.

Never-the-less, I believe I could I.D. a S. African red wine in the dark with out even tasting it. Still, this was an interesting wine and we thank R and Dr. S! Raise a glass to Fresno!

No comments:

Post a Comment