Saturday, January 13, 2024

Smoking Loon Cabernet Sauvignon (NV?) Chile


*Note--Label is incorrect!  "Chile" will be written underneath "Cabernet Sauvignon"          
Nice dark purple hue with aromas of brooding blackberry, a hint of wood in the bowl and a touch of wildness that I usually associate with Zinfandel. 

Palate-- Pretty decent first impression with a mid-palate depth that is unexpected. Fruit forward with sme care in the making, spicy savory mid palate and a finish of wild blackberry.

Smoking Loon is a NAPA, Ca. winery which is why I am blown away with this adventure with Chilean Cabernet. I cut my teeth on Chilean Cabs (as they were new to the game and consequently were great values! I used to acquire Concha Y Toro's premier release--"Don Melchor" for $30-$40 bucks on release. Now you might find them for $70 on up.  

This wine my wife grabbed at a local supermarket reduced to $7.50. It is odd that it is non-vintage but my sense here is that it is a nice value.  I will be paring it with charcoal grilled "boar burgers" and homemnade Mac N Cheese.  Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment