Monday, November 24, 2014

OZV (Old Zin Vines) 2012 Sponsored wine review--by (PB)

This Zin presents with an eye catching crystalline ruby/garnet hue.

Aroma--Cinnamon "red hots" candy over cocoa and the more gentle, strawberry, Bing cherry fruit. Under neath it all there's a creamy vanilla nuance.

Palate--Almost silky mouth feel, with relaxed tannins and loads of cocoa on top of the gentle, vanilla laced, juicy red fruit.

This is not what I expect when I taste a zin because the characteristic, wild or brambly fruit foundation is not there. Meaning what? Meaning this is a mind blowingly different Zin that is more refined than ghetto.

I've visited Lodi on my wine explorations and it is an up and coming AVA in California just starting to come into its own. This wine is made from Zinfandel grapes grown on 50-100 year old vines which according to those who know, lends a special "something" to the fruit produced from such aged vines. (Blended with a touch (4%) of Petite Sirah)

Bottom line--would I buy it again? Absolutely; Zinfandel is my specialty grape and I love unique! This fits the bill as a big "tasty," "juicy" and easy drinking quaff so raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment