Sunday, November 04, 2012

Mocali Rosso di Montalcino 2010 Wine Review (NW)

Tasting notes:

Cherry with some leather notes on the nose

Medium bodied on the palate

More cherry, with savory notes and some tobacco

Summary:

This wine is a little bit flat and unispiring. The problem here is that Rosso di Montalcino is always a bridesmaid and never a bride.  By design and definition, it's wine that plays second fiddle to Brunello di Montalcino because it's made from grapes that weren't chosen for Brunello.  I've always had some trouble with this, especially since Brunello has been so consistenly good and worth the extra investment. I realize that this wine is much less expensive than most Brunellos, at $20 or so, but I'd rather drink the real thing.  When I can't do that and need to be in the $20 range on a Tuscan wine I reach for Chianti Classico or a number of IGT blends.  Read our nearly 2500 posts for many recommendations in this price category. 

No comments:

Post a Comment