Monday, December 28, 2009

Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 Wine Review (NW)


Tasting notes:

Sweet plum and cherry layered with rich spices on the nose
Richly textured on the palate
Relaxed, harmonious finish of cherry, currant, and sweet cocoa

Cathy Corison provides a beautiful expression of Napa Cab with this bottling. It's a slightly different take with sweet red fruit and spice rather than dark berries and herbs, but I really like it.

This was my first tasting of this wine as I discovered it on an overpriced wine list at a chain steakhouse. Scanning through the reds, this just jumped out at me as a better value than all the other very young wines at more than triple mark ups. ( That's right, the rule of thumb on this list was a mark up over three times higher than retail shelf prices. If I wasn't entertaining clients, I would have been drinking water out of protest.)

Anyway, the wine was terrific and I still had to pay up for it. In this case, I paid $115 and the bottle has a retail price of $45. Good stuff- and the 2000 vintage is still available through a few retailers online. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment