Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rombauer Merlot (NAPA) 2004 wine review by (PB)


When I hear "Rombauer" I think Chardonnay. Silly me; I have never even given them a shot at a red wine so my wife picked this up for me on a trip to California. I opened it last night with a gorgeous, thick boneless rib-eye on the grill.

The wine is Cherry red on the pour with big fruity aromas of smoke and ripe dark fruit with cedar and leather and a hint of cream which is lovely and later, blueberries and it is just really NICE!

The palate is sound with a somewhat immature structure that would benefit from another 2 years of laying low but even still this wine is forthright full of black cherry, smoke, wood and just good stuff!

At $24, this is a really nice wine and fine treat; if you love Merlot (and why wouldn't you?) this is a keeper! Raise a glass and stoke up the grill (the real charcoal grill) and just say, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment