Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Rock Station Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 (*Napa Valley)

The hue of this so-called "Napa Cabernet" is too light for "good" napa Cab, being a medium garnet with pleasant aromas of lightly talced berry, lightly spiced, sweet pomegranate, nearly floral, cherry cream bouquet.

Palate--Uncharacteristic first impression for Napa; lots of dark berries, not much complexity, not much of anything although what's there is drinkable. Finishes super quick.

*Napa Cabernets are the cream of the crop with prices to match. (2020 Screaming Eagle is $2700 for a bottle!) 2021 was a challenging year for Napa for several reasons so the declaration of a "vintage" for Napa is almost surprising. Anyway, Trader Joe's probably bought up this lot from this never heard of--to me--winery getting it for a song but I thought I would spend the $15 for a bottle and see what was offered. I was not expecting much and that is what I got. The worst part of a winery selling such a wine is that unsuspecting people who have heard so much about "Napa Cabs" will grab this and think they have tried Napa Cab. They have not.

Now, paying $2700 for a bottle of wine is lunacy. While I don't agree with the late great, Fred Franzia who said "No wine is worth more than $10 a bottle",  this is NOT what Napa Cabernet is like--not even close.

At any rate I am grilling bone in rib eye's for my wife and I and this wine will work but honestly I would rather have a decent Zinfandel...  Pass on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment