Saturday, January 13, 2024

Billings Farm Cabernet Sauvignon 2021

Nice garnet hue with aromas of sweet plum and dark berry with a soapy smelling bouquet which is quite nice. (No it isn't from actual soap; I use scent free dish soap for my wine glasses as well as on my hands.) Chocolate cake comes in at the end.

Palate--Interesting first impression more like a "wine beverage" than real wine. Flavors are inviting but again, more like fruit juice than wine and yet it is definitely wine. It is cheery, juicy and almost soda popish with a steely finish. 

Now don't get me wrong or think I am snobbish, I am not and 20 years of reviews reveals my average price point is about $10!  You can't be a snob at that price point. A lot of people who say they don't like red wine might actually like this. It is easy to drink, fruity, and not all tannic despite a really bad review I read of this wine.

The grapes are all sourced from California which means it is a hodge podge of grapes from hither and yon and grapes, perhaps which weren't sold to higher end wineries, drop their grapes wherever anyone will buy them.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT! But...... It does give a bad name to the premier grape varietal for people will taste it and think, "Why on earth do people pay hundreds even  thousands of dollars for a single bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon?" 

Trust me there is a HUGE quality and character difference in a single vineyard Cabernet grown on premier plots. Are they worth $800 for a bottle?  NO! Not in my opinion. No wine is worth that.  But there is a HUGE difference in a GOOD NAPA or Bordeaux or Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon from the myriad $10 cabs out there.

I will pair this with homemade beef stew this evening and it will honestly be simple, straight forward and lovely! Raise a glass!



No comments:

Post a Comment