Friday, November 07, 2014

Oreana Petit Merlot 2010 wine review by (PB)

Hefty pigmented deep black garnet hue with great bouquet of ripe plums, rich blackberries, licorice, forest floor, and and edge of cocoa. Wow!

Palate--Big bold fruity, ripe blackberry, black cherry laced with a mocha edge and spices galore with a finish that lasts and leaves a creamy fruit finish.

The wine is a blend of Petit Verdot and Merlot and Oreana believes they are the only people in the country to do such a blend.

Okay--Here's a great lesson about tasting rooms at wineries: I had this wine on site in Santa Barbara, Ca. in September. The wine was previously opened (we were the first patrons of the day being there rather early although questioning this I was assured that their wines were kept under nitrogen which preserves the wine's freshness after opening. Never-the-less the wine was way too warm served I would guess close to 80 degrees the ambient temp of the room. I didn't care for this wine at all especially with a price tag of $30 or so but I wanted to take something back with us and this was unusual so I grabbed a bottle.

I just opened it with a friend who is a Merlot devotee and he loved it as did I. This is NOT the wine I tasted at the tasting room. I am glad I brought it back to Maine and raised a glass. Only wish I had more as this wine is till quite immature and will benefit from 3 more years in the bottle. Again I say raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment