Friday, February 15, 2008

Chateau Richard 1993 wine review by (PB)


I bought this wine on a Boston bargain hunt and threw it into my temperature controlled wine keeper. I grabbed it the other night because it was an inexpensive wine ($12) and I wanted to open something different. This wine is from the Bergerac region of France which is comprised of Merlot and Cabernet Franc. I had no idea it was such an old wine which why I obviously bought it.

As I was pulling the cork I saw the "1993" on the cork and I was shocked.

The color of the wine is as expected of a 15 year old wine; a lighter brick hue with browning around the edges; the bouquet was amazingly pleasant with a bouquet of light cherry and something quite unique and pleasant which I never did identify.

The palate was thin and relatively tasteless with some olives and thin fruit but holding steady. It finished with plenty of earth and gravely dust, pencil lead and wood. Within 20 minutes the wine was shot.

Now I realize I bought it in the first place because of the price and the age that it had on it. It was well worth the $12 just to experience the transformation in the few minutes it was opened and reminds us that you don't breathe old wines for this very reason. If you wait, it may be gone by the time you drink it.

This was an education in wine and well worth the $12 investment. Raise a glass to a new wine experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment