Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ironstone Vineyards Cabernet Franc Reserve 2003 Wine Review (NW)


Tasting notes:

Rich nose of currants, blackberries, and vanilla

Ultra smooth texture on the palate

Finishes with nicely layered mixed berries, chocolate, an spice

I enjoyed this wine. For sure, it's the "other" style of Cabernet Franc that is only found in the New World. In fact, it's so different from a Cabernet France from Chinon, France, that I'd be hard-pressed to ever guess they're the same varietal in a blind tasting. This wine is riper, smoother, and shows more oak characteristics than any Chinon I've ever had.

If you're looking for something a little different out of California, though, this is a nice choice. While it's a big, modern style of wine it's still a varietal that's off the beaten path.

My wife bought me this wine a year and a half ago, and paid $20. I'd like to find another bottle or two and see how they continue to evolve in the cellar. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment