Tuesday, December 11, 2007

VEO "Ultima" Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2005 wine review by (PB)

This wine--which may only be available at Sam's clubs [uncertain about that] is a surprising wine worth seeking. It is a very young purple wine with a herbal bouquet and ripe blackcherry fruit and a true Cab. nose.

It is a bit course on opening but with air evens out a bit but this wine has real potential. The couple reviews of it I found on line were not very favorable but I believe they miss the real potential of this wine. It does not taste like a new world wine first of all which is why I believe the reviewers didn't like it. Their expectations were misplaced.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought this was a Bordeaux with some complexity and old world style. In the mouth it is immature but has genuine flavor with some complexity with black cherry fruit and a hint of mint even. Let this wine open for about an hour or decant it. For $10, this is a wine I plan to buy a couple more bottles of and lay them down for a couple more years. The wait could be impressive! So, raise a glass. (no pic available of label)

No comments:

Post a Comment