Monday, March 31, 2014

Tenimenti Luigi d'Alessandro Manzano Migliara Cortona Syrah 2007 Wine Review (NW)

Tasting notes:

Crushed blackberry and mocha on a huge, jammy nose

Full bodied on the palate

Long, rich, silky finish of milk chocolate, raspberry sauce, and spice

Summary:

This wine is huge, rich, jammy, and modern. I'd call it controversial, with fruit bomb qualities that neither define geography or varietal. I grabbed it because I don't see many Syrahs from Central Italy, especially Cortona in Umbria. It gets points for being interesting, for sure.

With this said, I found it hard not to enjoy. The bottle went empty pretty quickly, fruit bomb or not. It has amazing texture and is so well layered that it continues to show various notes of ripe berries and sweet fruit flavors in the glass.

While I've seen it priced as high as $80, I paid $35 on clearance and would buy more if it was available at that price. I'd be curious to taste this in another 5 years or so because the only other Tuscan Syrah I've collected (different producer) is from the 1998 and 1999 vintages which are still drinking well.

Here's to trying new wines, so raise a glass!



No comments:

Post a Comment