Friday, February 08, 2013

Mercedes Eguren Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 wine review by (PB)


Black cherry hue with bouquet of very steely berry fruit with licorice touches,and a note of mustiness.

Palate--Loads of berry fruit with a second layer of tart black raspberry.

This is a strange wine to me and I would not have ID'd it as Cabernet Sauvignon but probably a Malbec. Finishes with a light hint of smoke.

In my 35 years of wine study I have not had MORE than a handful (if that) of Cabernet Sauvignon from Spain.

The good folks at the Wine Spectator gave this wine 90 points when they tasted it back in 2011. I'm not feelin that...I paid $9 fro this yet had a release price of $18. Honestly I don't quite know what to make of it.

I paired it with raclette grilled venison tenderloin medallions served with 3 distinct sauces. It worked well but I'm still not sure. I have a second bottle I will cellar for a while and give it another shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment