Saturday, November 08, 2008

Tenute Silvio Nardi Brunello di Montalcino 2003 Wine Review (NW)



Tasting notes:

Big nose of cherry, plum, cedar, and spice

Plush texture on the palate, rich and chewy

Finish of mixed berries, licorice, earth, and spice

Look for some classic Brunello character in this wine, with rich cherry and spice layers set on an earthy, chewy backbone. Also, expect to pay about $60, which is now a very typical price for a non-riserva Brunello.

While this wine is showing some nice complexity of flavor, I recommend you continue to cellar it for several more years. If you're at home and want to drink it now, simply decant it, let it sit, and sip it closer to room temperature than you might with other wines.

Raise a glass!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Hi, I'm working in a restaurant and we sell a lot of Brunello Nardi.I agree with you about the description and I think it will be better to let it improve for few more years in bottle ( even if at the restaurant I decant it)
    Thank you
    Massimo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bottle of Silvio Nardi at a restaurant a few nights ago ($110) and also saw it at Costco for about $50.

    I found it to be a big disappointment. I was expecting a "big" chianti with more tannins and complexity.

    I would not go so far as to say it tasted like a beaujelois (ugh) but it was not much like a quality chianti reserve.

    ReplyDelete